Cybercrime is commonly encountered type of crime nowadays and we – people of the 21st century have to know how to avoid it. Mobiles, whether smartphone or iPhone, are mini computers, so all vulnerabilities of a computer are on it, usually with a less-protected operating system. With the advent of iPhones, smartphones and tablet computers our everyday life has become easier.
And the same way it has become easier for cybercriminals to track our personal information, because regular users often use mobile phones for email, instant messaging, browsing and downloading files over the Internet and even do shopping over the Internet. Cybercriminals cannot miss the opportunity to discover new ways of phishing and infecting the mobile operating systems with unknowing victims and malwares such as trojans and others.
It is a fact that mobile operating systems are hand-held computers that store and transfer as much data as your personal computer. Virus can attack such files like games, software, security patches, and other functionalities of your mobile. However, with the problem comes a solution as well. All you need to do is to be a little vigilant and follow some pieces of advice for protection.
According to the information on the Internet, mobile malware increased by 48% in 2011. Here we can all agree that this is an improbable increase of online criminal activity. So protecting ourselves from online criminal activity becomes one of the topical problems. We have to take measures to protect ourselves from cybercriminal activity using mobile operating systems.
For banks and e-commerce sites deploying apps that give customers full access to their bank accounts, security becomes more important than ever. As regular computers mobile phones with access to the Internet are sensitive to different viruses, maybe even more because they may not be secured as strongly as your own computer. Online security experts advise specifically to watch out for Zeus-Murofet, Koobface and Conficker (also known as Downup, Downadup and Kido). More commonly it is recommended to beware of social networking accounts, phishing URLs from the IRS and gift cards. Cybercriminals are always looking for easier and more accessible way to achieve the biggest impact.
So do not get under the risk for a cyber-attack while using your tablet computers or iPhone, or smartphone, you need to reinforce your protection. Safety it is not a privilege, it is your right so you can use the following recommendations to protect yourself:
- Keep your mobile phone safe and secure by using mobile anti-virus software to protect your personal data. It is the best way and one of the most important thing.
- Regularly update your operating system for security patches.
- When you enter website (especially financial) make sure that “https” appears in the address bar, which means connection is secure.
- Make sure that you always choose a mobile from a recognized brand, which come with IMEI number (International Mobile Equipment Identity).
- Turn the Bluetooth function off after using it. It is another way through which unknown applications or viruses can make way into your cell phone.
- Don’t give any information by email and do not open unknown links.
- Avoid downloading unknown software from the Internet.
- Use password to protect your device, usually it helps to prevent the use of data stored in your phone.
- Don’t connect to unprotected Wi-Fi access points.
- Don’t forget to log out of websites, especially financial.
- Make backup of the data on your mobile from time to time. You can do it by yourself or ask for help your cell phone service provider.
- Do not let a stranger touch your cell phone even for few minutes. If such happens that the stranger is a hacker then you can get in trouble. The stranger (hacker) can install a spyware in your cell phone in few minutes. And the worst thing is – you will not even notice if the virus is already installed or not.
- Be security Conscious!