The Niger State Police Command has confirmed the abduction of several Muslim worshippers by suspected bandits in parts of Borgu Local Government Area of the state.

The attack reportedly occurred on Friday shortly after Juma’at prayers at the Central Mosque in Dekara community, when armed men allegedly stormed the area and began taking residents away.

The affected communities reportedly include Gidan Zana, Masaka, Sabon Gida and other nearby settlements.

Local sources said the attackers abducted a number of worshippers and residents, including the 90-year-old father of the District Head of Dekara.

The latest incident has heightened fears among residents of remote communities in Borgu, which have continued to face security threats from armed criminal groups.

Confirming the incident, the Niger State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Wasiu Abiodun, said security agencies had commenced efforts to rescue the victims and apprehend the attackers.

Abiodun said no death had been reported in the attack, adding that security personnel had been deployed to search for the abducted residents.

He, however, explained that difficult terrain and poor road networks were affecting the movement of security personnel in the area.

According to him, the collapse of a bridge connecting the affected communities to the Borgu Local Government headquarters had further complicated the deployment of security forces and delayed the rescue operation.

The police spokesman said the security agencies were working to overcome the logistical difficulties while intensifying operations across the affected communities and surrounding areas.

Security sources also indicated that troops and other security personnel were expected to continue searching forests and possible escape routes used by the attackers.

The incident comes amid renewed concerns over the safety of rural communities across Niger State, where poor infrastructure and difficult terrain have continued to hinder rapid security responses.

Residents have been advised to remain alert and provide security agencies with useful information that could aid the rescue of the victims and identification of those behind the attack.

The police assured residents that efforts were ongoing to locate the abducted worshippers and restore normalcy to the affected communities.

As of the time of filing this report, authorities had yet to disclose the exact number of people abducted in the incident.