The Nigerian Army has demolished more than 10 houses in Tungamaje, Abuja, sparking fresh anxiety among residents over the possible destruction of additional properties in the community.
The demolitions were reportedly carried out on Thursday, August 20, 2026, leaving affected residents distressed and uncertain about the future of their homes.
Residents who spoke on the development on condition of anonymity said Army personnel also warned indigenous residents against constructing new buildings or undertaking further development on their lands.
According to one of the sources, the soldiers told residents they would return to the community to demolish more structures.
Several other houses have reportedly been marked for demolition, increasing concerns among homeowners who say they have not been provided with alternative accommodation.
“Many houses have been marked by the Nigerian Army and this has caused confusion. Many residents do not even know what to do, they have nowhere to go and yet their situation does not seem like improving,” a resident said.
The latest demolition has reportedly created tension across the community, with residents worried that more homes could be pulled down in the coming days.
The development comes shortly after residents of Angwa Dio and Angwa Shibaba, both in Tungamaje, were directed to vacate their homes following an order reportedly issued by the Nigerian Army.
Residents in the affected communities had initially been given until Saturday, August 8, to leave the area after several houses were marked for demolition. Following intervention by community leaders and other stakeholders, the deadline was reportedly extended by five days to Wednesday, August 12.
A community source had previously disclosed that more than 30 houses across the two communities had been earmarked for demolition, with residents directed to leave the area.
The source said attempts by community members to appeal the decision were unsuccessful, as they were reportedly told that the directive came from higher authorities.
The situation has left many homeowners worried about where they would relocate if the demolitions continue.
Residents have also expressed fears over further enforcement action by the Army following the expiration of the extended deadline.
The latest development is part of a longstanding dispute between residents of Tungamaje and the Nigerian Army over land ownership, access to ancestral lands and the use of farmlands in the area.
The dispute dates back several months. In May 2026, residents reportedly raised concerns over what they described as attempts by Army personnel to force them off their ancestral lands.
With additional properties reportedly marked for demolition, residents are now facing renewed uncertainty over the safety of their homes, investments and livelihoods as tensions continue to mount in the community.




